Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bananas

So I've heard other Asian-Americans tell me that I'm a "banana" or "white-washed". Along those lines, people have also asked me if I grew up in Connecticut or New York. (Places where there aren't a lot of Asians.) Whatever. It doesn't matter. My point is, I'm sure my readers are well-acquainted with the terms "banana" or "oreo." Well, here is a twist to that.
Jennifer Wilkins was my American co-worker at the International School I worked for in Seoul, Korea. Her parents were missionaries and she had lived in Japan and had gone to a Japanese school. She had attended high school and college in the U.S. but had returned to Asia because she felt more comfortable there. When she was sitting on the floor, she always kneeled with her feet tucked under her bottom. She could sit like this for hours. She said it was from her days in Japan and that it was only natural for her to sit like that. Jennifer taught me a new word when she said to me, "I'm an egg."

No comments:

Post a Comment