I told him we were in Los Angeles and that we weren't up to driving all the way out there if the leasing prices weren't any good.
"We lease cars," he had said, when my roommate and I had called to check. "When you come, make sure to look for Viktor. Viktor. Look for Viktor, okay?"
As many of them had been, Viktor also sounded a bit desperate on the phone. Rightly so. It was clear that not many people were buying new cars in this economy. In fact, I've been told it's a great time to be buying a Mercedez because dealers are willing to sell them for the bare minimum.
My new roommate Diana had just moved from New York City to Los Angeles. She needed a car. We had been to three different dealerships, driving all around Los Angeles. We had spent the past several days packing, moving and unpacking. By the time we called Viktor we were tired. I was tired. Extremely tired.
Yet, we drove all the way to "Los Angeles" to find out what deals Viktor could offer us.
(The dealership was clearly NOT in Los Angeles. It was on the very outskirts of Glendale.)
"We don't lease. We only sell. Who said we leased?"
This is what our buddy Viktor told us when we finally got to this dealership in "Los Angeles".
I looked at Viktor who was either Eastern European or a member of the mafia (Diana's input) complete with greasy hair. At first, I was confused. It slowly dawned on my tired brain that Viktor was a liar. How surprising. Lying care dealers. I wasn't even angry. I was just tired.
Diana and I got back in my car and silently drove back to our apartment in Los Angeles.
12 years ago
Viktor was probably Armenian. Glendale has the highest concentration of Armenians outside of Armenia.
ReplyDelete